Wednesday, March 16, 2011

who's your mentor?

My co-worker asked me yesterday who my professional mentor is. Mentor? What mentor? I have a non-official mentor at work that have been assigned to me, only because Gap prides itself on career development, but a professional mentor outside of work never struck me as being necessary or beneficial. After a bit of blog searching last night I came across some incredible woman who have started their own business, worked for some prestigious fashion houses, edited for top fashion magazines and I started to think...what if one of these women were my mentor? Can you imagine the amount of knowledge, networking and exposure I could gain? Why hadn't I thought of this before? While I've been soul searching and trying to understand what I want to do with my life next it never stuck me that getting assistance to understand my options was needed. After working at Gap for 5+ years I somehow managed to forget what it meant to network outside of work. I got sucked into the Gap Institute, under the impression that I had it all. Thanks to my GF & co-worker, Rachel, I started to ponder...I need a mentor stat! Now how do I go about getting one? Could Tom Ford be my mentor, maybe Rachel Zoe, or how about DVF? Ok, so I dream big but as soon as I got my head out of the clouds I received a Refinery 29 newsletter featuring Jane Herman, Gap's Director of Concept. I am sure you know where this is going. So I didn't look as far as I should have but at least I kept it real. I can easily get access to Jane's email. I know where she works, and more importantly she has my dream job! Yes, Jane Herman is going to be my mentor. Now I just need to ask her...

Take a mini tour of her urban escape and fall in love with her glamorous lifestyle. I want her life...  















{images: refinery 29}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...